Building out a WordPress website is more than just adding pages and posts to the site. There is also the “behind the scenes” features that add to the site’s functionality – like improving it’s performance and site security, and numerous other things.
These “things” that carry out certain functions for the site are called plugins. And here are some of the ones we recommend for almost every website:
Plugins for Site Security and Performance:
- Wordfence Security – protects your site from hacks and malware
- WP Super Cache – A very fast caching engine for WordPress that produces static html files.
- Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall- searches for Malware, Viruses, and other security threats and vulnerabilities
- Block Bad Queries – protects WordPress against malicious URL requests.
- MemcacheD Is Your Friend – improves site performance by improving cache
Plugins for Site Optimization and Improved Ranking
- Yoast SEO or All In One SEO
- Google XML Site Maps
- Add image_src Meta Tag – helps sites like FaceBook use a relevant image as thumbnail when sharing content.
Plugins for Added Site Features and Functions:
- Google Analytics – add GA to your WordPress site
- All In One Favicon – easily upload an image to create a site favicon
- Contextual Related Posts – display related posts in blog posts
- Flexi Page Widget – control list of pages displayed in sidebar
- Restrict Widgets – control pages a widget goes on
- Content Views – display posts, pages in awesome layouts
- WP Social Sharing – adds responsive social sharing buttons on posts / pages
- Ultimate Social Media
- Add To Any Share Buttons
- Fast Secure Contact Form
If you have any plugin suggestions you’d like to add, please leave a comment!